“I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food. “- W.C. Fields
2 medium eggplants
24 oz. of sauce
1.5 cups of mushrooms
.5 cups of grated parmesan cheese
2/3 cups of italian breadcrumbs
1 egg white (about 3 tbsp liquid)
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
* I used a crockpot for this recipe… If you do not own or do not wish to use a crockpot, use a glass baking dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees *
1. Spray crockpot with cooking spray of your choice.
2. Peel eggplant. Cut into round slices (thickness- medium)
3. Beat your eggwhite and egg in a small bowl.
4. Mix your grated cheese and italian breadcrumbs in another small bowl.
5. Place your eggplant slices (one at a time) in the egg mixture, and then in the cheese/breadcrumb mixture. Line the bottom of the crockpot with as many coated eggplant slices that will fit.
6. Slice mushrooms and pour a third of them over the eggplants slices in the crockpot.
7. Pour a third of the sauce over the mushrooms.
8. Pour a third of the mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
9. Continue this process until all of the ingredients are in the crockpot (order- coated eggplant, mushrooms, sauce, mozzarella cheese)
10. Cook on low for an hour and on high for an hour and a half – 2 hours. (takes about 3 HOURS TOTAL)- If using an oven, bake for a half hour. In either case, the dish is complete when the top is slightly brown. Serve with pasta of your choice!